Stemming from the Department of Economic Development's keenness on encouraging citizens on engaging in commercial activity, the DED introduced a new type of license authorizing their holders to practice commercial activity from their homes; provided the Commercial Affairs Administration scrutinizes and evaluates each application individually.
Objectives of License:
- Making way for citizens of both genders to engage in commercial activity.
- Minimizing expenses borne by license holders since the license does not require a specific store for practicing commercial activity, but allows its holders to conduct business from the comfort of their homes.
- Limiting commercial practices by individual or persons without a proper license.
- Licenses are exclusive to UAE citizens.
- License holders must be at least 21 years of age.
- The home from which the business activity shall be practiced must be located within the borders of the Emirate.
- The license does not permit the bringing of labour from within or beyond the Emirate.
- The business activity must be legitimate.
- It is permissible for license holders to place a commercial sign outside their homes provided its dimensions are no larger than 30 x 30 centimeters.
- Trading in materials impacting public health and/ or safety is prohibited.
- Commitment to working hours decided by the DED.
The activity must pose no detriment whatsoever to neighbors:
- Not cause crowding or overcrowding in front of the home.
- The activity must not be noisy or result in smoke, dust or odor (smell/ stench/ stink/ scent) emissions.
- The activity must not result in increasing garbage and waste in the neighborhood.
- License holders must not store goods inside or in front of their homes.
- License holders must not deal in hazardous, toxic or flammable materials.
- Sheltering animals in the home for any purpose is strictly prohibited.
- Practicing the activity must not result in crowding in public spaces the neighborhood.
- Practicing the activity must not result in large numbers of frequenters visiting the home in order not to violate neighbors' sanctity.
- License period valid for one year (renewable).
- The license holders must be the owner of the home or one of its residents.
- The maximum number of licenses per home is capped at two licenses.
- The license fee is set at AED 100 per annum.